Canadians can no longer have confidence in the decision to re-register glyphosate in Canada
Last signataires : Sylvie - Vanessa - Carolyn
WE CAN NO LONGER HAVE CONFIDENCE IN THE DECISION TO RE-REGISTER GLYPHOSATE IN CANADA
Monsanto manipulated public science to downplay the cancer risk of its pesticide glyphosate. Recent revelations show that research biased by Monsanto was used in the re-assessment of glyphosate conducted in Canada in 2017! And what we know today is just the tip of the iceberg.
The process to evaluate glyphosate’s risk to our health
and our environment was compromised.
MORE DOUBTS AROUND CANADA'S PESTICIDE AND TOXIC PRODUCT EVALUATION
Glyphosate is the most widely used pesticide in the world. It is found everywhere: in the water, air, soil, rainwater, and even in our plates. Glyphosate was detected:
- in 80% of the foods we had analyzed (containing wheat, corn, beans, oats, pulses), ex.: Cheerios, Tim Hortons Timbits, tortillas, pasta and hummus and
- in more than 30% of 3,200 food samples tested in the Canada Food Inspection Agency’s most recent study, some of which had concentrations exceeding the residue limits considered “safe” by Health Canada.
OUR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MUST PROTECT US FROM PESTICIDES AND TOXICS
We must demand that Canada immediately:
- cancel the re-registration of glyphosate in Canada, as we can no longer have confidence in the decision of 2017, which was based on industry-biased science;
- establish a review panel of independent scientists to conduct a new assessment of glyphosate in Canada and to investigate the fraudulent practices of Monsanto in the Canadian re-registration process;
- reform the Pest Control Products Act (PCPA) and the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA), which fail to ensure adequate protection of Canadians from pesticides and harmful toxic substances.